Little Town on the Prairie
AUDITIONS - APRIL 29 & 30 - 2PM-4PM
De Smet Event & Wellness Center
July 7, 8, 9
July 14, 15, 16
July 21, 22, 23
Gates open at 6pm
Performance begins at 8pm
July 7, 8, 9, 16, 21, 22 and 23
$12 - Adults
$8 - 6-12 years old
5 and under free
July 14 and 15
$15 - Adults
$10 - Children 6-12 years old
5 and under free
We will be hosting Dean Butler and Alison Arngrim from Little House on the Prairie for a Q&A session prior to the performance on Friday, July 14 and Saturday, July 15. The Laura Ingalls Wilder Memorial Society will also be hosting Alison and Dean the weekend of July 14-16. For more details and a schedule of events for each day, please check out their schedule.
Advance purchase of tickets is not necessary. All seating is general admission. The Laura Ingalls Wilder Pageant is held outdoors. There is plenty of seating and we have never sold out. You are welcome to bring lawn chairs or blankets. It is also wise to bring a jacket or sweatshirt as the prairie evenings can be cool.
Planning Your Visit to De Smet
Please don't hesitate to call or email if you have questions about visiting. There are a few different places to visit in town and we have found that visitors often spend an entire day in De Smet.
800-776-3594 or 800-880-3383
Be sure to visit the helpful City of De Smet website when planning your trip.
- Laura Ingalls Wilder Memorial Society
- Ingalls Homestead
- Loftus Store
- Depot Museum
- Wilder Welcome Center & Prairie Bus Tours
- Super Deluxe Inn & Suites - 877-687-7523
- Cottage Inn Motel - 800-848-0215
- Heritage House B&B - 605-854-9370
- Prairie Retreat 605-625-5085
Other Area Lodging
- Hometown Motel - 605-625-5226: located in Willow Lake, SD
- Watercrest Motel - 605-772-4700; located in Howard, SD
- Arlington Inn - 605-983-4609; located in Arlington, SD
- Lake Thompson Recreation Area - 605-847-4893
- Ingalls Homestead - 800-776-3594
- Washington Park - 605-854-3731
- The SPOT Campground - 605-854-3982
- Jerry's Country Estates - 605-854-3243
- Oxbow Restaurant - 800-854-9988
- Ward's Store and Bakery - 605-854-3914
- Kingsbury County Country Club Restaurant - 605-854-3134
- Dairy Queen - 605-854-9000
- Subway - 605-854-9009
- Cowboy Country Store - 605-854-3553
- The Main Stop - 605-854-3200
- Maynard's Grocery - 605-854-3432
- Wheatie's Sports Bar - 605-854-3715
- Dugout Lounge - 605-854-9171
1951 Families gathered around their radios to listen to the Hallmark Playhouse presentation of "The Long Winter."
1955 After receiving permission from Hallmark Playhouse to use its script, local actors performed "The Long Winter" in the high school auditorium at no charge to the public.
1968 As part of the summer arts festival, local actors once again performed "The Long Winter" in the high school auditorium. People poured in, and extra chairs were brought in from the Lutheran Church, and still more people continued to come in.
1971 Encouraged by the overwhelming response to the 1968 production, a group of local volunteers developed plans for the Laura Ingalls Wilder Pageant, an outdoors family drama to celebrate the life and writings of our home town author. Several local civic organizations-- the Kiwanis, Jaycees, and Chamber of Commerce assisted in the production.
1973 The Laura Ingalls Wilder Pageant Society was founded, a non-profit organization committed to the preservation of Laura's legacy.
1974 The LIW Pageant Society purchased thirty acres of land to become the pageant's permanent home. This beautiful section of land is nestled between the Ingalls Homestead, the big slough, and Silver Lake.
Over the years, the Laura Ingalls Wilder Pageant has become a local tradition. Each summer more than a hundred volunteers combine their talents to present a family-friendly drama based on the writings of Laura Ingalls Wilder. People from all over the world gather together on the beautiful South Dakota prairie and step back into history to a time when the West was just opening up to a wave of pioneering men and women. It is our goal to preserve--through drama--the family values and pioneering spirit of the Ingalls family.